The first tree was felled to begin
the settlement of Union on July 19, 1774. In 1786 Union was incorporated
as a town.
In 2016 we celebrated that event and honored the dedication of those
early families on Founders Day Weekend
FOUNDERS DAY 2016 IS
NOW PART OF HISTORY - WE APPRECIATE THIS VOTE OF CONFIDENCE AND ECHO THE
THANKS TO ALL THE ORGANIZATIONS
WHO PARTICIPATED. CONSIDER HOW YOUR GROUP CAN BE PART OF NEXT YEARS
special thanks to Lyle and Jan Cramer for "Keeping the Schedule" -
quite a feat in this mobile age, with changes happening daily. We also
are grateful to the many other UHS members who helped out in so many
ways: Fun Walk, Breakfast, Parade, Canoe Tour, Bus Tours, Colonial
Cooking Demonstration, History Seminars, Sales Table, Silent Movie, as
well as the myriad behind the scenes preparations!
Spring Bus Tour
The Union Historical Society's annual
Come Spring Heritage Trail Bus Tour is offered during Founders Day
Weekend. Tickets for the bus tour go on sale about a month before
Founders Day. The tour departs from the Old Town House, 128 Town House
Road, at 5:30 p.m. on Friday and on 9:30 a.m. on Saturday of Founders Day
Weekend. The tour takes place rain or shine and lasts about two and a half
Come Spring Bus Tour tickets may be purchased by calling ahead. Your
reservation will be confirmed when your payment has been received. Since
this popular event usually sells out, it is recommended to purchase
tickets early. Watch this page for an announcement for next year's bus
Included in the tour are dismount stops at five historic sites, of which
four are located on private property and are not open to the public at
other times. The route follows the Georges River Scenic Byway,
identifying sites where Union's early settlers built cabins and lived.
The names of the settlers are documented in town records and their
lives and stories are recounted by Ben Ames Williams in his 1940
historical novel Come Spring, reprinted by the Historical Society.
After visiting settlers' gravesites in the Common Cemetery on Ayer
Hill, the tour will stop at the cellar hole of the cabin where Philip
Robbins' large family spent a crowded winter in 1776, and then at the
homestead of Robbins' oldest son David. After circuit over the
blueberry barrens of Clarry Hill, tour participants visit the site of the
Royal Mess, the bachelor home of Jason Ware, Joel Adams and Matthias
Hawes, overlooking the hillside where Adams and his wife Mima Robbins
built their home. The final stop is the former Ebenezer
Alden Store, where the early family names are recorded in the store's ledger
Day Favorite Returns - Canoe Trip on Round Pond and the St. George River
See “Come Spring” sites and wildlife with UHS member & Maine Guide
Founders Day at 7:30 AM, weather dependent.
All equipment provided. Meet at Ayer Park, Depot Street. Trip lasts about
Limited to 7 paddlers, age 16 and up.
Movies at the Old Town House
The UHS is pleased to bring the past to life each year at Union’s Old Town
House, as we present classic silent films at 7:00 PM on Founders Day.
Doug Protsik, director of the Maine Fiddle Camp and of The Old Grey Goose
band, plays the piano accompaniment for the films using his original scores.
With a varied background in classical, folk, old-time and dance music,
Protsik fell naturally into his role as the “heir” of Danny Patt, who
accompanied silent movies at the Old Town House in the 1920s. Doug’s
enthusiasm for silent movies has led to work composing and recording
original scores for silent film restorations for Turner Classic Movies cable
network. A resident of Woolwich, Protsik joined other musicians to form The
Old Grey Goose in 1978; their energetic blend of traditional and folk music
has become a staple of the Maine music scene.
We are proud to present this old-time entertainment for all ages; families
with children are encouraged to attend. We extend a special invitation to
present and former military personnel. The Society is grateful for the
generous support of one of our members who underwrites this event.
Doors open at the Old Town House at 6:30 PM on Founders Day. There is no
charge for admission. A suggested donation of $5.00 is used for maintenance
of the fine 1840’s structure.
Union's 242nd year since its founding
Founders Day Weekend WAS held July 15-17,
Thanks to those who helped to make this happen! Watch for
information about Founders Day 2017 - July 14, 15 and 16
kept the list of organizations and individuals presenting
activities during the weekend and the times for those events. Do you have
an plan for another year? Email Lyle at email@example.com
to let him know if you can be in charge of an event!
This was the CALENDAR of EVENTS for
2016 Founders Weekend.
If you were not part of the fun,
check with your organization or family and friends and join this all
town celebration this year!
Friday, July 15
|3:00 - 6:00
||Farmer's Market w/music &
|Union Farmer's Market
|6:00 - 8:00
||Pie Social w/music by Ray Montana & "Among Friends", food
5:30 - 8:00
|Come Spring Bus Tour #1
Come Spring Farm Celebration
|Old Town House
Come Spring Farm
|Union Historical Society -
Come Spring Players and Peter Duffy
Saturday, July 16
||Union Country Club
||Union Country Club, Barrett Hill Rd.
(Greens fees benefit Vose Library)
|7:00 - 8:00
||Brian Cramer Memorial Fun Walk
||Union Fair Grounds
||Benefits Vose Library
|7:00 - 9:30
||People's United Methodist Church
||Dan Day, Jeff Nims
|7:30 - 9:30
|| Come Spring Canoe Tour
||Ayer Park and Round Pond
||UHS - RESERVATIONS NEEDED
|9:00 - 3:30
"COLOR - The Choice is Yours" - talk
|People's United Methodist Church
|9:30 - 12:00
||Come Spring Bus Tour #2
||Old Town House
||UHS - RESERVATIONS NEEDED
|9:30 - 2:00
|UHS Information & Sales Table
Vendors and Crafters
Matthews Museum/Moxie Table
|Union Historical Society
|10:00 - 4:00
||Matthews Museum Open
||Matthews Museum of Maine Heritage
10:00 - 2:00
10:30 - 2:00
|Parade - with Midcoast Brass Quintet
& Bay Winds Ensemble
Face Painting & Children's Games & Dunk Tank
Horse Drawn Wagon Rides
Fire Station to the Common
Tara Wellman/Jay Feyler
|Camden National Bank
Parents Organization/Town of Union
Flicker Hill Farm
|10:45 - 11:30
12:00 - 12:30
|Brass Quintet plays at the bandstand
Bay Winds Ensemble plays
|Friends of Founders Day
|11:30 - 1:00
|12:00 - 1:00
1:00 - 1:45
1:45 - 2:30
2:30 - 3:15
|Come Spring Play Live
Colonial Cooking Demo
Old Foundations-Clarry Hill discovery
Medical Care by Horseback
|Robbins House - across the Common
|P. Duffey & V. Harriman
Tamara Konckal, Old York, ME
Come Spring Players
Union Historical Society
|7:00 - 9:00
||Silent Movie - Harold Lloyd comedy
||Old Town House
||Jack Green (Doug Protsik-Piano)
||Union Historical Society
|7:00 - 11:00
||Union Masonic Hall, Sennebec Rd.
Sunday, July 17
|9:45 - 10:15
10:30 - 11:35
|Gospel Music Concert
Community Worship Service
|Union Common - if raining, these events will be at the church
||Rev. Ed Bove
||People's United Methodist Church
|2:00 - 3:00
|Dave Mallet concert FREE
|Savage Oaks Winery (11-5 PM)
|Winery at 174 Barrett Hill, Union
|11:00 - 5:00
|Sweetgrass Winery & Distillery
|Distillery & Winery at 347 Carroll Rd.
Bring a chair for events on the
PLEASE VISIT AND SUPPORT UNION AREA BUSINESSES - FMI SEE UNION
AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
FOR FULL LISTING AND MAP
We are sorry that during Founders Day Weekend, our phone will be
answered on a very limited basis. Please use the numbers listed with
activities to make reservations.
Here are some photos from past Founders Day celebrations:
The Come Spring Bus Tour held many delights for those interested in the
history of Union, as well as those who enjoy the landscape of woods, ponds
and farms that remains little changed from the early days after
settlement. Several stops are on private property where the owners
graciously host the tour participants and share the sites of the founders’
first dwellings. This plaque marks the cellar hole of the cabin where
Phillip Robbins and his large family spent their first winter in 1774.
The Come Spring Cabin was in the parade on Founders Day and was a backdrop
for the “Come Spring Chronicles,” a dramatization of the popular
historical novel COME SPRING (1940).
“Welcome Home Vets” was the theme of the Founders Day parade.
The cast for the “Come Spring Chronicles,” a dramatization of the popular
historical novel COME SPRING (1940) which was set in Union by author Ben
Ames Williams, using actual people, places and events to tell of the early
settlement of a typical inland Maine town during the time of the
Moxie inventor, Augustin Thompson, was from Union; on Founders Day
everyone has MOXIE!
Tour Bus participants end their tour at the Ebenezer Alden property. When
Alden built his store, the first in Union in 1797, there were just 20
families in town. This barn was a later addition to the property in the
The MidCoast Community Band, directed by Joann Parker, played for the
crowds on Founders Day in Union.
The Selectmen of Union coordinated the events of Founders Day. Here they
work to deflate the “Moon Walk” that children had enjoyed during the day.
A Sunday morning worship service on the Common began with gospel music.