|Robbins House Chair
|Old Town House Chair
||Term expires December 2017
||Term expires December 2017
||Term expires December 2018
||Term expires December 2018
||Term expires December 2019
|OPEN (contact us for information)
||Term expires December 2019
||Bruce Cobb (Chair), Jeff Nims, Dan Day, Milt
Parsons, Betty Nims
||Bonnie Packard (Chair), Mary Thompson
|Programs and Publicity
|Jeff Nims (Chair)
||Wednesday Group, Mary Thompson, Betty Nims, Marion Gray
||Frank Cassidy (Chair), Sarah and Mike Drickey
|Old Town House RENTALS
||Dan Day, Lyle Cramer
||Bonnie Packard (Chair), Jeff Nims
||Dan & Connie Day
||Jeff Nims, Bruce Cobb
|Matthews Museum Liaison
||OPEN (please contact us for more information)
|Chamber of Commerce
|Vose Library Liaison
||OPEN - (Please contact us for more information)
The Robbins House is usually open from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon on
Wednesday and Saturday mornings. You are welcome to visit us and enjoy
the displays. Society volunteers will be glad to assist you in your
research related to Union history and genealogy. If coming from a
distance, please call ahead to determine that the volunteers are
available to assist you.
There may be additional open hours; look for the "Open" sign at the
corner of the building, or if you do not pass by the Common, call us
(207-785-5444). If you wish to make an appointment to meet the Curator,
call the Union Historical Society's number to leave a message.
to our Buildings
Below are driving directions to visit the Robbins House, the UHS
headquarters at 343 Common Road, or the Old Town House at 128 Town House
Road, where most of our programs are held.
From the East or Camden/Rockland area:
To reach the Robbins House - travel west on Route 17 approximately 11
miles to Route 131 South, (South Union Road;) turn left (south) onto
Route 131 for a few hundred feet and then turn right (west) onto Common
Road (old Route 17). Travel west on Common Road to the Common area. The
Robbins House faces west at 343 Common Road, on the left, across from
the entrance drive of Camden National Bank. There is a looped driveway
for parking at the front of the Robbins House. (If you reach the Post
Office, you have passed the Robbins House.)
To reach the Old Town House - continue about ½ mile past the Route 131
South intersection on Route 17 to Route 235 South (Town House Road).
Turn left (south) onto Route 235; travel up the hill to the Old Town
House on the left at 128 Town House Road, with parking available just
before the building in a grassy lot.
From the West – Route 295 or Augusta area:
To reach the Robbins House - travel east on Route 17 (approximately 25
miles from Augusta) to Common Road just beyond Route 131 North; turn
right onto Common Road across from Union Farm Equipment. Travel on
Common Road past the Union Fairgrounds and up a hill into the Common
area. Continue on Common Road past the Post Office on the right. The
Robbins House, at 343 Common Road, will be in view at the east end of
the Common area, across from the entrance drive of Camden National Bank.
There is a looped driveway for parking at the front of the Robbins
To reach the Old Town House - continue about ½ mile past the Common Road
intersection on Route 17 to Route 235 South, (Town House Road.) Turn
right (south) onto Route 235; travel up the hill to the Old Town House
on the left at 128 Town House Road, with parking available just before
the building in a grassy lot.
From the South or Towns along Route 1:
To reach the Robbins House - travel north on Route 1 through Waldoboro,
past Moody’s Diner, to Route 235. Turn left onto Route 235 and travel
approximately 9 miles to Union, where Route 235 becomes Depot Street, to
a stop sign at the Post Office and the Common. Turn right onto Common
Road. The Robbins House at 343 Common Road will be in view at the east
end of the Common area. There is a looped driveway for parking at the
front of the Robbins House.
To reach the Old Town House – after the stop sign, travel north through
the intersection of Route 235 and Common Road, through the Common and up
the hill, where the road becomes Town House Road to the Old Town House,
at 128 Town House Road, with parking available past the building in a
From the North/Northeast, Belfast area:
To reach the Robbins House – travel west on Route 3 from Belfast to
Belmont. Make a slight left turn onto Route 131 and travel south
approximately 15 miles to Route 17. Turn left onto Route 17 then make an
immediate right onto Common Road across from Union Farm Equipment.
Travel on Common Road past the Union Fairgrounds and up a hill into the
Common area. Continue on Common Road past the Post Office on the right.
The Robbins House, at 343 Common Road, will be in view at the east end
of the Common area, across from the entrance drive of Camden National
Bank. There is a looped driveway for parking at the front of the Robbins
To reach the Old Town House – after the left turn onto Route 17,
continue on Route 17 about ½ mile past the Common Road intersection to
Route 235 South (Town House Road). Turn right (south) onto Route 235;
travel up the hill to the Old Town House on the left at 128 Town House
Road, with parking available just before the building in a grassy lot.
The Union Historical Society owns and maintains three properties:
The Robbins House, now the home of Union Historical Society, is located
on Union Common at 343 Common Road. It is an 1847 modified Greek Revival
building with a center chimney and an attached ell. The parlors on the
north side of the first floor are furnished in early Victorian style.
One upstairs bedroom is furnished in period style pieces that were made
in Union. The meeting room, which also serves as a research area, is
accessible by a wheelchair ramp. It was purchased and renovated by the
volunteers of the Society and Vose Library in 1975.
The house was first built for Dr. Isaac Flitner, possibly to entice a
doctor to come to town to live. It was then owned by a series of doctors
until 1897, when it was purchased by Jason Robbins. The Robbins family
lived there for 58 years, until the death of Jason's niece Clemmie
Robbins in 1955. Clemmie Robbins was the town's telephone operator.
It was probably during the time near the turn of the last century that a
porch was added, and the doorway between the two north parlors was
widened. The south part of the building had been the dining room,
kitchen, woodshed and entrance to the barn. In 1973 the Union Historical
Society bought the property with the intention of sharing the building
with the Vose Library.*
The house was in sad shape. It was the Society's intent to have the
outside of the house look as it had when it was first built. Therefore
the sagging porch was removed and the garage, which interim owners had
substituted for the barn, was replaced by the present meeting room. The
foundation revealed that the original door had been recessed and an
appropriate door with sidelights was donated by Society members.
The furnishings were donated by residents of Union and members of the
Society. There have also been bequests to the Society and a few items
were purchased with funds raised.
With Brussels carpets over hardwood floors, the Victorian-style parlor
furnishings include upholstered sofa and chairs, a round marble-topped
table, a card table, a dining table and cane-seated chairs, a Brown pump
organ that was made in Union, and a Morse Brothers organ, also made in
Union. On the wall hang portraits of Jason Robbins and his wife Laura.
In the larger bedroom upstairs, is a complete chamber set made of local
woods in Union's Thurston Bros. Factory, later the casket factory, along
with various items donated by Union residents.
Furnishings owned by the Come Spring characters include a small chair
that once belonged to Joel and Mima Robbins Adams. The 1940 historical
novel, Come Spring, records their journey to purchase it after their
marriage. The Society also has artifacts used by Mima Robbins Adams in
her daily life - her mortar and pestle and her Book of Sermons.
Also to be seen in the Robbins House are the town's old telephone
exchange switchboard, a secretary-desk once used by the selectmen at the
Town Office and many artifacts and paper memorabilia relating to the
history of the town, its industry, businesses, citizens and civic life.
The displays are changed periodically. We welcome additional donations
of items from Union.
* In the spring of 2011, the Vose Library moved into a “home of its own”
at 392 Common Road.
The Old Town House
Located on 128 Town House Road, this 1840 classic New England
meeting house is the town’s early public meetinghouse and is listed on
the National Register of Historic Places. This building may be rented at
reasonable rates for wedding receptions and other gatherings for
personal or business functions; a small kitchen is available for use by
renters. Call the Society for availability and rates --- 207-785-5444.
The Old Town House simple, elegantly functional proportions are enhanced
by the unique curved ceiling and multi-paned windows. It was integral to
the life of the community, serving as the venue for town meetings from
1840 until 1952 and high school graduations from 1890 until 1931.
The second level projection room was built to accommodate silent movies
and the ticket vendor's window is still in place. Regular movie showings
(25¢ admission), social functions, dances, plays and suppers made the
Town House a busy place for its first century. After construction of the
Thompson Memorial Building at the other end of Union village, the Town
House fell into silence and disrepair, functioning as a warehouse for
all sorts of cast-offs. The UHS, already responsible for the Robbins
House, offered to care for the building and the Old Town House was
deeded by the town to the Union Historical Society.
In 1978 a fortunate bequest from the estate of Esther Morton enabled a
major restoration. In 1986 a subsequent update was undertaken to bring
the building into conformity with safety standards for public buildings.
In 1998 and 1999 the Society performed further major maintenance to the
exterior and interior, including stabilizing, repairing and repainting
the plaster of the interior curved ceiling and the walls. Ongoing
maintenance receives sensitive attention to authenticity.
structure was once at the top of Cobb's Ledge, the highest point in the
center of Union village. During WWII volunteers took shifts to watch for
enemy airplanes. The property was generously donated to the Union
Historical Society by one of Union's oldest families.
The pin on the right was worn by the volunteers.
The Union Historical Society holds monthly program meetings, open to the
public, at 7:30 PM on the first Wednesday of the month, March to
December. The meetings are held at the Old Town House or the Robbins
House, see monthly announcement for meeting location. Check the "Programs"
page for more information.