Celebrating 45 years of exploring
Unless otherwise noted program meetings are at 7:30 p.m. on the
first Wednesday of the month.
March, & April: held at People’s United Methodist Church, 21
May to November: held in the Old Town House, 128 Town House Road.
Refreshments are served after each programs.
We are immensely grateful to the
speakers who share their interest and expertise in their chosen
fields with us.
Their generosity is humbling. What a wealth of knowledge for us to
1: “Appreciating Our Historic Buildings”
photo tour of midcoast building designs with illustrations of
presentation by Society member Dave Shaub of Union
5: “The County of Knox, Maine: A Governmental History,
from the first written history of Knox County.
by author and former County Commissioner Roger Moody of
3: “A Tale of Three privies”
from digs in a 1700’s fort, an 1800’s farmstead and urban house.
presentation by retired historical archeologist Leon Cranmer of
Amazing Lombard Log Hauler”
story of the machine, its inventor and the recent
restoration to operating condition.
presentation by Herb Crosby, Professor Emeritus, Mechanical
Engineering Technology at UMO
14-16: FOUNDERS DAY WEEKEND
evening and Saturday morning: Come Spring Heritage Trail Bus
afternoon: Seminars on historical topics
evening: Silent Movie Comedy with piano accompaniment by Doug
2: “Ambiguous Allegiances in Revolutionary Maine: The Importance
of Local History”
focus on historic events at Machias, Falmouth and Castine.
history professor Dr. Liam Riordan
6: “1980 Escape from Vietnam to America”
challenge of assimilating to a new culture.
by school social worker and martial artist Chuck Nguyen of
4: “An Overview of the History of Coinage”
a paperboy’s fascination with coins led him to a passion for
presentation by Brad Hennemuth of Lincolnville
1: ANNUAL MEETING
Account Books of Levi Morse”
process of transcribing two account books and what they reveal
about life in 1795 Union.
presentation by Society member Wanda Garland of Waldoboro
Check our home page for the monthly
press release giving details of the upcoming program.
Time to Plan for Founders Day Weekend July 14 - 16, 2016 - Can you
help coordinate activities?
Each year the town of Union celebrates its founding during the weekend
closest to July 19th. This is the day
that the first tree was felled in 1774 to begin the settlement, as stated
by John Sibley in his History
of the Town of Union
. Founders Day weekend for 2016 will begin
Friday afternoon July 14th and will continue through Sunday morning July
16th. Activities are presented by various community organizations;
assistance is needed in coordinating the weekend events. If you have would
like to be involved, please contact the Union Town Office at 785-3658 or
Lyle Cramer 785-2030.
Come Spring Bus Tour - a popular Founders Day weekend event
Come Spring Bus Tour tickets are $12 and may be purchased by calling Mary
Thompson at 207-385-4611
leaving a message. Note: this is NOT a
! Your reservation will be confirmed when your payment
has been received. Since this popular event usually sells out, it is
recommended that you purchase tickets early. It is hopeful we will have
both a Friday evening and Saturday morning tour.
Included in the tour are dismount stops at five historic sites, of which
four are located on private property and are not open to the public at
other times. The route follows the Georges River Scenic Byway,
identifying sites where Union's early settlers built cabins and lived.
The names of the settlers are documented in town records and their
lives and stories are recounted by Ben Ames Williams in his 1940
historical novel Come Spring, reprinted by the Historical Society.
After visiting settlers' grave sites in the Common Cemetery on Ayer
Hill, the tour will stop at the cellar hole of the cabin where Philip
Robbins' large family spent a crowded winter in 1776, and then at the
homestead of Robbins' oldest son David. After circuit over the
blueberry barrens of Clarry Hill, tour participants visit the site of the
Royal Mess, the bachelor home of Jason Ware, Joel Adams and Matthias
Hawes, overlooking the hillside where Adams and his wife Mima Robbins
built their home. The final stop is at the Ebenezer Alden House on Common
Road to see Alden’s barn and his store, which was established before 1800
and was operated for a century by the Alden family. Many founders’ names
are listed in the store ledger.
CANOE TRIP ON ROUND POND AND ST. GEORGE
See “Come Spring” sites and wildlife with UHS member & Maine Guide
Sat. July 15 at 7:30 AM, weather dependent.
All equipment provided. Meet at Ayer Park, Depot Street. Trip lasts about
Limited to 7 paddlers, age 16 and up. FMI and to make a reservation, call:
832-1880. No charge; donation to the UHS accepted.
UHS Silent Movies at the Old Town
House - 7 PM Saturday, July 15
UHS will present a classic silent film at 7:00 PM on Founders Day,
Saturday, July 15, 2017, as we once
again bring the past to life with a screening at Union’s Old Town
House. This is a family friendly event!
Protsik, director of the Maine Fiddle Camp and of The Old Grey Goose
band, will play the piano accompaniment for the films using his
original scores. With a varied background in classical, folk,
old-time and dance music, Protsik fell naturally into his role as
the “heir” of Danny Patt, who accompanied silent movies at the Old
Town House in the 1920s. Doug’s enthusiasm for silent movies has led
to work composing and recording original scores for silent film
restorations for Turner Classic Movies cable network. A resident of
Woolwich, Protsik joined other musicians to form The Old Grey Goose
in 1978; their energetic blend of traditional and folk music has
become a staple of the Maine music scene.
UHS is proud to present this old-time entertainment for all ages;
families with children are encouraged to attend. We extend a special
invitation to present and former military personnel. The Society is
grateful for the generous support of Susan Fay, one of our members
who underwrites this event.
open at the Old Town House at 6:30 PM on July 15, 2017. There is no
charge for admission. A suggested donation of $5.00 will be used for
maintenance of the fine 1840’s structure.
Please enjoy some
photos from past Founders Day celebrations
The Union Area Chamber of Commerce organized again this year the now
traditional "Pie Social" at the Union Common. Along with the pies,
hamburgers, hot dogs and soft drinks were also available and a beautiful
jazz band entertained one and all.
Tumblewood Inc. held its first World Games on the Common in Union in 2012.
FMI on this Union made game and its creator, see
The Come Spring Bus Tour held many delights for those interested in the
history of Union, as well as those who enjoy the landscape of woods, ponds
and farms that remains little changed from the early days after
settlement. Several stops are on private property where the owners
graciously host the tour participants and share the sites of the founders’
first dwellings. This plaque marks the cellar hole of the cabin where
Phillip Robbins and his large family spent their first winter in 1774.
The Come Spring Cabin was in the parade on Founders Day and was a backdrop
for the “Come Spring Chronicles,” a dramatization of the popular
historical novel COME SPRING
“Welcome Home Vets” was the theme of the Founders Day parade in 2012.
The cast for the “Come Spring Chronicles,” a dramatization of the popular
historical novel COME SPRING
(1940) which was set in Union by author Ben Ames Williams, using actual
people, places and events to tell of the early settlement of a typical
inland Maine town during the time of the Revolutionary War.
Moxie inventor, Augustin Thompson, was from Union; on Founders Day
everyone has MOXIE!
Tour Bus participants end their tour at the Ebenezer Alden property. When
Alden built his store, the first in Union in 1797, there were just 20
families in town; many of his customers were the characters, real people,
in COME SPRING
! The barn
was a later addition to the property in the mid-1860s.
The MidCoast Community Band, directed by Joann Parker, played for the
crowds on Founders Day in Union.
The Selectmen of Union coordinated the events of Founders Day 2012. Here
they work to deflate the “Moon Walk” that children had enjoyed during the
day. The Town Office is looking for a Founders Day coordinator for
2015. Please call to offer your services 785-3658.
Another annual tradition is the silent movie that the Union Historical
Society offers on Saturday night; it is accompanied by Doug Protsik at the
A Sunday morning worship service on the Common begins with gospel music.
The UHS Annual Meeting is scheduled for November each year at the Old Town
House. There is a business meeting with reports and election of officers.
The slate of officers for the new year is presented and additional
nominations for officers are accepted. Elections follow the nominations.
This is social, very popular get-together for members and guests alike.
Everybody brings a salad or casserole to share. After the supper, the
regular program of the month follows. This potluck is usually held prior
to the August meeting at the Old Town House. Watch for information on this